Knee surgery is a revolutionary step to restore good quality of life and end the chronic knee pain which you have been suffering. It is a major surgery with a recovery period that is intense. It is good to make adequate preparations.
Here is a check list of preparations for surgery:
You must ensure that the following must be carried out before surgery. All these must be ideally carried out in the hospital for surgery.
- Medical clearance with general physician
- Ascertain cost of knee surgery in India
- Recent X-ray of the knee ( within 3 months)
- Chest X-ray
- Blood tests
- Electro Cardio Gram (ECG)
- Urine analysis
- Up to date information about insurance
- Education exercise: In person or through webinar
- An attitude of relaxation. Surgery is a difficult proposition but count on the expertise and experience of your medical team and the prospect of full recovery.
- Check with doctor about your medications which might be needed to be stopped before surgery. Especially if your consuming blood thinners like warfarin, be prepared 2 weeks prior to surgery. Such medication may need to be stopped before surgery
DAY BEFORE SURGERY
- Avoid consuming any food or water from midnight before the day of surgery
- Some medicines can be consumed in this time under guidance of doctor
- Take a shower with carbolic soap on the day before as well as day of surgery
- For the day of surgery pack loose fitting clothes.
- Bring to hospital a detailed, up to date and accurate list of medication.
- If needed, bring eye glasses and hearing aids.
- Bring to hospital proof of identity like insurance card and driver’s license.
- Bring your mobile phone with charger.
GENERAL CHECKLIST BEFORE SURGERY:
- You must read the patient education book; you must grasp the information and share with friends and relatives.
- Expect to be in hospital at least for 2 to 3 days after surgery
- Arrange for someone to take you home after surgery.
- You must stock home with assistive devices: walker, cane, reacher and dressing aids.
- Pack small bag with personal items like toilet kit. Items include non-slip shoes, comfortable clothes, patient education book etc.
- Bring along eye drops, inhalers and puffers.
- Avoid being constipated before surgery
- Arrange for help with shopping, pet care, laundry, meals as well as housekeeping for at least one week after surgery.
- Decide on physiotherapy at home or that at an out-patient clinic.
- For outpatient physiotherapy, book at least 3 days ahead of the surgery.
- Keep your joints strong and mobile before surgery.
- Eat well balanced, healthy meals in weeks before surgery like protein rich food that will enhance healing.
- Apprise medical team about all your medication including herbal supplements
- You must stop smoking starting from at least 2 weeks before surgery as it affects lungs and blood vessels and may slow down recovery.
- Get ready for an exercise regimen as part of physiotherapy. Exercise before surgery will make your body strong enough to walk around with help of crutches soon after surgery.
- Keep ready finances to meet knee replacement surgery cost india. This includes using insurance.
These are elements of a checklist to prepare for knee surgery.